Writing is my life. Life is my hobby. ~Emma Lai

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Liz Arnold, author of Message to Love

Hi, Emma! I’m so happy to be here today. I love your blog. It’s gorgeous!

How are your story ideas born?
Stories are everywhere around me. When I need something, I just pause, look up from the keyboard, and grab at something spinning around me. If it tingles in my hand, I know I have a winner and I work on it.

How many works in progress do you have?
In romantic fiction I have one piece in the hopper set in 1790 pioneer days of Ohio and the original “Northwest Territory”. In non-fiction I am working on a workbook to accompany my book in print for writers.

What is your writing process?
I write on the fiction daily a little at a time. I write 20 blog posts or more per month between all the fiction, non-fiction, book reviews, and editing I do so I keep ideas simmering constantly. I write something every day of the week.

What writing mechanic challenges you?
I’m a grammar freak but believe it or not, spelling is my arch enemy. It’s always been an issue for me. Don’t know why, but I spend a lot of time correcting my spelling in a document.

What’s your favorite part of the writing process?
Checks and publishing. And readers. I LOVE readers.

What’s your least favorite part of the writing process?
I write because I love it all no matter what, but I could say poor quality writing with lots of passive voice bugs me to read.

How long did it take to write your latest release?
Gracious, MESSAGE TO LOVE began as a dream a long time ago that would not let go of me. I worked on it awhile and revised it many times before The Wild Rose Press contracted it. Then I was caught in an editor change there and it took a bit of time to get it published.

Do you have a favorite line or scene from your story?
My favorite scene from MESSAGE TO LOVE is the night time arrival of the messenger to the shores of Cuba. Lt. Rollins McBride is assigned the duty of meeting and protecting the messenger who is delivering a message to General Calixto Garcia of Cuban rebel forces offering the aid and assistance of the United States to help Cuba free themselves from Spanish rule. It’s the actual historic event that MESSAGE TO LOVE is based on. It’s called “The Message to Garcia” written in 1899.

MESSAGE TO LOVE
LIZ ARNOLD
THE WILD ROSE PRESS

Blurb
Audra Wakely’s father has been seized by Spanish authorities and imprisoned for sympathizing with Cuban rebels. Raising the money to bribe officials if necessary, she sets off for Cuba to rescue her father. She doesn’t bargain on the interference of any U.S. officials—that is until she meets Rollins McBride.

Lt. Rollins McBride of the newly designated U.S. Naval Intelligence service is assigned to track Audra on her journey. He’s to arrest Greg Wakely, a U.S. citizen, for treason and gun smuggling. His mission and his heart are taken by surprise by the feisty beauty who sets a stubborn path toward finding her father and proving he isn’t a traitor—no matter what or who gets in her way.

Sizzle, spice, and intrigue heats up the Spanish American War in MESSAGE TO LOVE.

Excerpt

“It was a dream, just a very bad dream.”

She stepped back out of his hold. Clammy spots of moist heat lingered on her arms where his hands had been.

“I’m all right now.” Audra reached for the door and noticed the sickly sweet odor of liquor on his breath. “You can leave now. I want to go back to bed.” She pulled open the door and gestured into the hall.

“Sorry, but this time you’re going, too.” Rollins strode over to the dresser and pulled out a drawer. “Better pack. We have just under two hours.”

“I’m not in the mood for comedy, Rollins,” she sighed. “I’m really very, very tired. I’ve got to get some rest. Now—”

“Let me make myself clear.” He sounded gruff. “I said we’re leaving, and unless you want to get on a ship bound for Santiago with your shirttails hanging out, better change and get ready.” He made to leave the room. “I hope you have a shawl or something. It’s gotten cooler out, and we have half an hour in a wagon to get to port.” Then he vanished into his own room next door, leaving Audra gape-mouthed in the hallway.

“Who does he think he is?” She growled as she stamped her foot against the cold hard floor. “Infuriating! He is absolutely infuriating!” Audra heaved the door shut with gusto. “These are not my shirttails, either!”

Amazon buy link (print and digital)



The Wild Rose Press buy link (print and digital)


Liz Arnold is an author, freelance editor, and teacher living with her family in the mid-east.

I would love to send readers a free bookmark! Send me a SASE to P.O. Box 1322, Parkersburg, WV 26102

Blog:
Please visit, subscribe, and talk to me!

Thanks, Emma!

Hugs,
Liz

20 comments:

Emma Lai said...

I'm so glad you enjoy my blog, Liz! Thanks for being my guest today.

lizarnoldbooks said...

Hoping we get some visitors. Thanks for having me "over" today!

Emma Lai said...

Sometimes visitors are just too shy to comment. :)

Brenda Whiteside said...

Liz, your book sounds intriguing. Congratulations on publication. And Emma is right. A good many people look in but don't comment. Sad but true!

Emma Lai said...

Hi Brenda! I try and post comments when I visit blogs even if it's just 'hi' or 'great interview'. However, even I don't always comment due to a lack of words. How very horrible for a writer.

lizarnoldbooks said...

Hi, Brenda,
We all lurk every once in a while as site stats prove! Thanks for the comments.

Harlie Reader said...

Great post and the blog is pretty, if I can say that. I look forward to this story. Not too many writers write about the time period or the place. Normally its very English or French.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks, Harlie. Compliments are always welcome. :)

Kaye Manro said...

What a great interview. This book sounds very interesting. And different. Congrats Liz!

Judy said...

Absolutely--ideas are all around us! Enjoyed the visit!

Sandra Crowley said...

Hi Liz, Interesting interview. Best of luck with mega sales for Message to Love. It sounds intriguing.

Cate Masters said...

Wonderful interview ladies! Love the excerpt Liz, and your feisty heroine. Congrats on your release!

lizarnoldbooks said...

Hi, Harlie Reader! You're right about the different time period. It was a difficult sell at first. Thanksfully, The Wild Rose Press has a better business model than some publishers and is open to out-of-the-box books like mine! Hope you read and enjoy it!

lizarnoldbooks said...

Hello Cate, Sandra, Judy, & Kaye, So happy you joined in today. Thanks for the nice comments!

Autumn Jordon said...

Great interview, ladies. I love learning more about my fellow roses.

My gossh, lady, how do you find time to write novels writing so many blogs. Amazing. You book sounds interesting. I envy those who write historials. Congrats on it's release.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks Kaye, Judy, Sandra, Cate and Autumn for stopping by!

Angela Kay Austin said...

Writing something every day of the week is a great way to keep ideas fresh :-)

Ilona Fridl said...

Hi, Liz and Emma!

Great interview! I love the premise of the book. Wishing good sales for you.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for dropping in Angela and Ilona!

ribiczar said...

Great read! I wish you could follow up to this topic

cheap clomid