Writing is my life. Life is my hobby. ~Emma Lai

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pamela Thibodeaux on Tempered Joy

Emma: Today, I am featuring an interview with Pamela S Thibodeaux, author of Tempered Joy, available from Com Star Media.

Blurb: All around rodeo cowboy and heir to the Rockin’ H Ranch, Ace Harris is determined not to fall in love.  He’s only loved one woman in his life, his mother, and no one can even come close to filling her boots. Lexie Morgan thinks rodeo cowboys have rocks for brains and a death wish for a soul.  A broken childhood and the death of her father and best friend leave her doubting and questioning God (despite her years of religious upbringing) and afraid of love. Can two young people who clash from the onset learn to trust in the healing power of God and find love and happiness amidst tragedy and grief?   


Welcome, Pam.

Quick questions for you as a reader:

1. Where do you like to settle in for a good read? 
PST: I can read anywhere – in the tub, on the couch, lying in bed, at the kitchen table, on an airplane. I love to read and grab the opportunity every chance I get.

2. What is your favorite genre? 
PST: Romance is by far my favorite genre – contemporary, historical, mainstream – doesn’t matter as long as it has a HEA ending!

3. What length do you favor…shorts/novellas/novels?
PST: Any and all of the above although nothing beats cuddling up with a good book except spending time with loved ones ~ especially the love of your life. :)    

4. Whose POV do you prefer…hero/heroine/villain? 
PST: I prefer a mixture of hero/heroine POV’s although I also enjoy the input of supporting characters – especially if they are important to the character(s).

5. Do you like first/second/third person?
PST: Although I occasionally enjoy a first person story, they just don’t work as well for me as a novel written in third person.
Emma: What has been your greatest fear you’ve had to overcome as a writer?
PST: My greatest fear is always that the current WIP (article, short story or novel) will be rejected. I don’t think we ever overcome that fear.

Emma: What/who has been your greatest inspiration?
PST: I enjoy too many authors to name – so let me just say that great books are my inspiration.

Emma: What do you hope to accomplish with your writing? Do you have a goal?
PST: Yes, my goal is to spread the message of the reality and necessity of a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. He is so real to me and I do my best to portray Him as real to my characters and readers. My prayer is to touch hearts and impact lives with my writing.

Emma: What makes your writing unique?
PST: My writing has been tagged as “Inspirational with an Edge!” ™ and reviewed as “steamier and grittier than the typical Christian novel without decreasing the message” and until Julie Lessman hit the scene with her novels and tagline “Passion with a Purpose” I would have said the fact I write “steamy & gritty” made them unique LOL!

Emma: What appeals to you about your genre?
PST: I love sharing my faith through the lives of my characters and I love the fact that the story has a HEA ending. When I read a book or watch a movie, I don’t want to deal with the negativity life is already full of – I want to know that love truly does conquer all.

Emma: How do you deal with criticism?
PST: Criticism is tough and one of the hardest lessons to learn is that, as an author, I can’t please everyone. Not everyone will agree with my writing. Not everyone will believe as I do. Not everyone will understand what my story portrays. That’s just life. My husband was fond of saying, “Their loss.” When I received a rejection or criticism and although I usually deal with criticism with a good cry (or two) and a healthy dose of chocolate, I try to remember his words and adopt that attitude. 

Emma: What do you do when you hit a wall? (Can’t figure out a character’s emotions, where the plot should go next, etc.)
PST: Walk away (sometimes literally), pray, read something someone else has sweated over.

Emma: What other works have you published?
PST: Well, Tempered Joy is the 4th book in my series. The other three are: Tempered Hearts, Tempered Dreams & Tempered Fire. All are available in Ebook and Print. I also have a single title novel, The Inheritance as well as 5 (soon to be six!) short stories available through White Rose Publishing.
(That's an impressive list!)
 
Emma: What are you working on now?
PST: I am currently working on edits for my most recent story The Gift – coming soon from White Rose Publishing. I also have another short story in the works as well as a couple of non-fiction projects and a whole list of story/novel ideas just waiting to be developed.

Emma: Thank you for your time, Pam, and good luck with your future books!
PST: Thank you so much Emma for having me here today. May God bless you richly for your generosity!

Pamela S Thibodeaux
“Inspirational with an Edge!” ™
http://pamswildroseblog.blogspot.com

13 comments:

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thanks again Emma! I have a funeral to attend today but I'll try to drop in this afternoon/evening to interact with readers.

I've decided to give one lucky person a copy of the Tempered book of their choice (don't want book 4 if you haven't read book 1 LOL)

So be sure and leave your email address!
PamT

authorkathyeberly said...

I would love to have a copy of Pam's book! It sounds wonderful-authorkathyeberly@gmail.com

Debra St. John said...

Hi Pamela and Emma,

Nice interview, ladies.

And I do so love those rodeo cowboys.

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Pamela, and good luck with your releases! Criticism is difficult -- and we writers have such thin skin, which makes the whole thing unfair, lol. I still usually shed a tear or two as well. Maybe someday I'll toughen up :).

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thanks Kathy, for stopping by and commenting.

I love rodeo cowboys too, Debra! In fact, going on a writer's retreat with The Wild Rose Press & others the end of this month and will be going to a rodeo-can't wait! Thanks for stopping by!

Oh Helen, I know how you feel but you know, no matter how thick or thin the skin, rejection hurts regardless of where it's coming from. I try to learn something from every bit of feedback (when I get it) Thanks for stopping by!

PamT

Carmen7351 said...

Sounds like a good book in relationships. Please enter me. Thanks.
desertrose5173 at gmail dot com

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Pamela and Emma, great blog! I too am a believer in HEA...throw in a cowboy and I'm yours forever. Looks like I'll be meeting you finally in Bandera! Looking so forward to it! oxoxoxox

Emma Lai said...

Late to my own party, as usual. Started a new job today.

Sorry to hear about the funeral, Pamela. Thanks so much for guesting and woohoo for the book give-away.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for stopping in Kathy, Debra, Helen, Carmen and Tanya!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thanks April!

Yep, Tanya I am sooo looking forward to Bandera!

Thanks for stopping by ladies, you're both entered into the drawing.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Hey Emma, glad to see you here. I'll be checking back often and will post the winner's name tomorrow!
Pam T

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

And the winner is... Carmen!

Congratulations.

I'll email you privately for your address.

Thanks ALL for stopping by!
PamT

Emma Lai said...

Congrats, Carmen!