Writing is my life. Life is my hobby. ~Emma Lai

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Author Interview - Cindy K. Green on Dilemma of the Heart and The Heart Never Lies

Emma: I have recently been introduced to inspirational romance courtesy of a fellow Wild Rose Press author. I thought I would repay her for introducing me to a love-filled genre by featuring her in one of my author interviews. Cindy K. Green writes in a variety of romance genres, but today we’re discussing her inspirational story Dilemma of the Heart currently available through White Rose Publishing.


Blurb:

Cassandra Huddleston has a dilemma. Her heart still resides with her sweetheart, Frederick Adair, reported as killed in action at the close of the Civil War. Now she has a new suitor, Emerson Bryce, powerful, attractive, and dominant he usually gets what he wants. Cassandra must decide if she can forget the man of her heart and learn to love the man offering her a future.


As she struggles with her feelings, Cassandra is faced with the possibility that Frederick's death might have been greatly exaggerated. If that is true, will Emerson be willing to let her go?


Welcome, Cindy! First, let me say Dilemma of the Heart was one of the most love-filled romances I’ve ever read.


Cindy: I’m so pleased to hear that Emma. Dilemma is an endearing story and one I hope readers won’t soon forget. It is the story of loss and making a decision that could affect the rest of your life. It is poignant, moving and yes I threw in some sass as well.


Emma: I like sass!


Since I’m not familiar with the genre, I’ve got to ask what inspired you to write inspirational?


Cindy: I grew up reading Inspirational and it was my first choice for writing when I began. If anyone would like to learn more about the Inspirational romance or even writing the Inspirational, I have two articles on the Author Studio blog that covers that topic.


Emma: Thanks for the links!


You did an excellent job of creating a believable post-Civil War Philadelphia. I know that you have another American historical, The Heart Never Lies, available through Champagne Books.

Blurb:

When ranch hand Beau Tucker announces his intent to leave the Double C for California, Kit McCauley tells herself, ‘Good riddance.’ Unfortunately her heart isn’t quite in agreement with her head. Perhaps she’ll just have one more talk with the handsome cowboy before he disappears out of her life forever.

Temperatures rise as their interlude is interrupted by an injured horse thief who shoots at Beau and kidnaps Kit. Will Beau be in time to save her or did the ruffian’s bullet ring true, bringing his young life to an end and forever keeping their revelations unsaid?


Many readers like to follow authors of one type of genre. Do you hope to inspire people to explore different genres? Or, are you like many authors and fascinated by a whole range of subjects?


Cindy: I blame it on my own voracious reading habits. I read so many different genres that I just have to try writing them too—especially when the muse calls. I mean, what’s a girl to do? I do hope readers will try genres they might not normally read. Actually, I have had readers tell me ‘I don’t typically read historicals’ or ‘I’ve never read an Inspirational but I loved yours.’ It’s wonderful to get that kind of feedback.


Emma: You also have two free suspense reads, The Thing About Temping and A Girl, A Goon, and A Uniform, available with The Wild Rose Press. I love short stories, and you did an excellent job on both.


As a reader, I’m often turned off by the first person point of view, which is what both stories are written in. However, as a writer, I challenged myself to write a story in first person from the hero’s perspective. (I just sent off the signed contract for the story. YAY!) I have to know why you chose to write in first person.


Cindy: Honestly, I absolutely love writing in first person. I feel so free in that POV and the writing flows very easily from me. The first time I tried 1st person was for my NovelTea short story (A Night of NovelTea). It seemed right for a humorous suspense story and it just worked. All my NovelTea stories are in 1st (from both the hero and heroine perspectives) along with my suspense Free Reads. I have an out-of-print chicklit also in 1st that I plan to resubmit one day, and I have several YA ms that are in first. Otherwise I do still write in the traditional 3rd person.


Emma: Cindy, I know that you have two other inspirationals, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Your Wedding and Relationship Rescue, available with White Rose Publishing and two suspense stories, NovelTea Next Door and A Night of NovelTea, available with The Wild Rose Press. Do you have any other titles available that I missed?


Cindy: Those are all the ones I have available at this time. I have a short winter story coming from White Rose Publishing called Snow Kissed. And from The Wild Rose Press, I have a sensual high fantasy romance titled The Princess and the Rogue that is also Coming Soon. I have three other out-of-print titles which may come available in the near future, I hope.


Emma: Ooh, sounds good. I won’t keep you much longer, but are there any ongoing projects you want to discuss?


Cindy: Oh, too many to name! I have a full-length sequel in the works to Dilemma of the Heart. It’s titled: Temptation of the Heart. I’ve taken the antagonist from the first book and put him together with the sister of Cassandra from Dilemma. I’ve had such a great time writing this one. It is set completely in Philadelphia 1865-66. So, I had to be on top of Victorian the etiquette. As for high society during this time, it was London, Paris and then Philadelphia. It is very much a love-filled book including a lot of the social and national issues affecting people. Great characters too. Can’t wait to finish it! There is also a sequel to The Princess and the Rogue called The Prince and the Sorceress, a fourth NovelTea—A NovelTea Christmas, and a hilarious teen romance called Homecoming Madness. Is that enough for you?


Emma: Sounds like you have a lot on your plate! Thank you for your time, Cindy, and good luck on your future books!


Cindy: Thanks for having me today, Emma. I had a great time.

39 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi Emma and Cindy!

Nice to read this interview today. I've read one inspirational romance and I have to advise everyone to give it a try. I will certainly be adding your works to my TBR list.

Have a great weekend
Rachel

Cindy K. Green said...

Hi Rachel! Thanks for stopping by. Inspirational is great because it has more to it than just the romance. And in the end you feel hopeful and we really need that in this time and age.

Sharon Donovan said...

Hey Cindy! You know I love inspirationals--and yes--they are all that and more. Great interview, Emma.

Sarah Simas said...

Hi Cindy and Emma!

Lovely interview! I've never read an Inspirational, but after reading this post- I'm gonna give it a try. I love Civil War Era books!

Thanks, Ladies!

Cindy K. Green said...

Thanks for coming by Sharon!

Hi Sarah--this is a good one. And I really can't wait to have everyone read the sequel. ;)

Celia Yeary said...

Cindy--lovely interview! Have I told you how much I love your book cover? so pretty--Celia

Cindy K. Green said...

Hi Celia! Yeah, I love that cover too.

Maggie Toussaint said...

Cindy, You're an inspiration to me! I'm awed by your writing and your proficiency in multiple genres. Way to go!

Kaye Manro said...

It's fantastic that you do write in multiple genres. Sensual to inspirational-- that's amazing! And you use the same name on all of these? Well all I can say is good luck to you!

Cindy K. Green said...

Hey Maggie! Thanks. It is work that's for sure!

Hi Kaye--Most of my works would be considered Sweet but my historical western short story is definitely sensual and my fantasy is sensual in nature but funny and sweet otherwise. Typically my works are sweet.

Skhye said...

Hi, Cindy! I think you're like me. I'm a big fan of prehistory, certain histories, and culture. You're the historian. We can't just write in one genre because our interests are all over the place. :)

As for 1st person, the really short pieces are best written in 1st just to get to the crux of things. Or the story would never end. That's why I wrote my free read in 1st but everything else is in 3rd. But I rarely hear people discuss the point that 3rd is really 1st but with different pronouns. ;) This is how I write deep POV in 3rd person limited omniscient. :)

Great interview, Emma & Cindy!

Cindy K. Green said...

Hey Skhye! I agree with you about the deep 3rd POV. Writing in 1st has helped me to write better in 3rd. And I typically only write in 1st for shorter stories--except for NovelTea. The last one is novel length. But since it is a series and I have been switching b/w hero and heroine--it works. Thanks for coming!

Elizabeth Pina said...

Hi Cindy! Thanks for the encouragement. I write across genres also and wasn't sure if I should write non-inspies (mine are on the sweet side too) under another name. I'm glad it's working for you.
I look forward to reading your novels!

Emma Lai said...

Sorry I'm late everyone. MTB has been sleeping away the morning after an awful night of bad dreams.

Thanks for visiting Rachel, Sharon, Sarah, Celia, Maggie, Kaye, and Elizabeth!

I'm now on the lookout for more inspirationals to read and looking forward to Cindy's next releases!

Cindy K. Green said...

Hi Elizabeth. It is a good idea to write under another name if you decided to write something completely different from your Inspy's in tone, style and heat level. If that was the direction I was planning to go, I would write under another pen name. However, I do plan to stick with writing sweet romance and YA.

Cindy K. Green said...

HI EMMA! It's been fun already this morning. Thank you much for having me.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for agreeing to be one of my victims! Seriously, I love talking to other authors and finding out more about them.

Ashley Ludwig said...

Great interview, Cindy! Emma - you rock at this. Well done!

I love Cindy's work - and am always happy to read your blurbs & excerpts! congratulations, both of you!

Ashley

Cindy K. Green said...

Hey Ashley! Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a fun weekend.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for taking time out of your packing to stop by and comment, Ashley! Have fun!

Mary Ricksen said...

Wow the book cover is wonderful. I love to learn more about the great people I interact with on the internet. Cindy, nice to learn about you and the excerpts make me want to get that credit card out and start charging!
Emma, nice job as usual!!

Miss Mae said...

Cindy, how do you continue to churn these babies out? I am speechless with wonder!

You know I love Grant, and a certain priceless scene with him,**wink** but I will have to admit that I don't read Westerns. Guess I grew up with too much Bonanza! LOL

But you are on a roll, and I wish you the very best! Your writing rocks. :)

Helen Hardt said...

Hi Emma and Cindy -- Emma, as always, great interview. I love how you tailor the questions to the author. And Cindy, it's always nice to see you. I write in several genres myself. I enjoyed your thoughts on first person. I find first person very challenging. Congratulations on all your success!

Helen

Lynnette Baughman said...

Good interview. Cindy -- what is the time setting of The Heart Never Lies?
Lynnette

Cindy K. Green said...

Hi Mary. I always appreciate your blog visits.

Hey Lula--You know I only started reading westerns about 3 years ago. And they got me hooked.

Hello Helen, Emma does really great interviews! You know I hear that all the time from people about 1st person. I don't know why it is so easy for me. Thanks for coming by.

Cindy K. Green said...

Hi Lynette--The time period is four months after the end of the Civil War. August 1865.

Cindy K. Green said...

I'll be talking more about researching 'Dilemma' and the sequel 'Temptation' on April 24th at Skhye Moncrief's Blog.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for visiting Mary, Miss Mae, Helen, and Lynnette.

I do try to bring out something unique in each interview. Nice to know I'm succeeding!

Cindy, I can't wait to see what you post at Skhye's. I love her blog.

Debra St. John said...

Cindy...wow, you are truly an inspiration to us all! I have enough trouble figuring out how to write in one genre. LOL

Cindy K. Green said...

It's true there is a lot of time involved in researching the genre and reading in it too. And then you have to find your voice for that genre. It would be easier if I just stuck to one, wouldn't it?? LOL!

Emma Lai said...

Cindy, you do an excellent job of creating a voice for each genre you write in. I think this is supremely important for any author wanting to write across genres.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for stopping by Debra!

Marianne Evans said...

Great blog, ladies - thank you! In particular I could relate to the point where you discuss writing in first person. I'd never been much of a fan of first person - until I started actually writing it. It seems like there's something much more direct and involving to the writing and reading process when you get that close to the characters. This was quite a revelation after ten years of writing third person! LOL! Nice getting to know you both better! :-)

Nightingale said...

I'm not into westerns but this sounds good!

SarahAnn said...

Another lovely interview Emma! Both of these books look very appealing, Cindy. I don't usually gravitate to either Westerns or the Civil War, but ultimately it's the story, not the setting, that makes a good read, and these look like a couple of great stories.

Cindy K. Green said...

HI Linda. Like I mentioned before the western was never a genre I read either until recently when my friends turned me around. It really is just about a good read with intriguing characters.

Hi Sarah Ann--I love historicals. Going back to another time.

Carol Ann said...

Hi Cindy and Emma,

Great interview, Emma. Cindy I admire your ability to write in multiple romance subgenres.
I've tried to write other subgenres than romantic suspense with some of my short stories, but my longer writes always turn suspenseful. Hmmm. What does that say about my brain? LOL! Great job, ladies.

Emma Lai said...

Thanks for commenting Marianne, Nightingale, Sarah Ann and Carol Ann!

Sorry for my delay in responding. We've been wading through the water here in town for a family birthday!

Cindy K. Green said...

Thanks for coming by Carol Ann.

Emma-thanks again for having me. It was a blast!